In a world with an abundance of ready-made fast food, you can buy ready-made frozen Ukrainian Potato pierogi. However, you can quickly cook them yourself at home and with any filling. An added bonus of this recipe, you can use mashed potatoes that you have leftover from dinner.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Pour the wheat flour sifted through a sieve into a deep bowl, make a notch with a spoon, and gradually pour in lightly salted water while stirring.
- Knead the dough well so that it does not stick to your hands. Cover the dough with a cloth in a bowl and set it aside to rest.
While the dough rest, prepare the filling. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water, let them cool slightly, and make mashed potatoes.
- Then, add vegetable oil to a heated frying pan. You have to peel the onion, wash well and finely chop, put it in a frying pan.
- Also, fry the onion, stirring slowly, for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Add blue fenugreek and mix well.
- Divide the fried onion into two parts. Put one part in mashed potato and mix well, salt and pepper to taste. Set the filling aside.
- While the filling is cooling, roll out the dough to a thickness of 3-4 mm, make a mold for pierogi with a glass of small diameter.
- In each circle, put a spoonful of potato and onion filling, seal the edges of the dough.
After, put the finished pierogi on a wooden board or on the table. You can see the second option for making pierogi in this video.
- In a few minutes pour salted water into a pot and boil dumplings until they float to the top. Gently stir them in water, making sure that they do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once cooked, put on a plate and drizzle with the remaining onion with fenugreek and oil.
Potato Pierogi with Onions: good or bad?
Video by Healthline
- The consistency of the dough can be varied by adding water at different temperatures. More plastic dough is obtained with cold water, and softer and more viscous with boiling water.
- The ideal oil for this recipe is sunflower oil, but olive oil can also be used.
- A vegetarian version of this dish involves the vegetable oil for fried onions. This food goes very well with thick sour cream or butter.
- Decorate the serving of dumplings with bunches of fresh parsley or dill.
- For the dough, take a little more flour so that it is enough to sprinkle a wooden board or table on which you will put the varenyky.
- If fewer people came to dinner, do not rush to cook all the dumplings. You can freeze them. You can also make dumplings ahead of time and freeze them. This will save you the hassle of cooking another day.
- If you haven’t bought blue fenugreek in the store or on Amazon, look for Utsho Suneli seasoning.