Traditional Ukrainian cold appetizer that can be used to make borsch. In the originals, the appetizer includes wild porcini mushrooms, honey mushrooms, or boletus. You can take other mushrooms as well. The easiest way is to take champignons. Champignons usually spoiled fast in the refrigerator. Therefore, this cold appetizer is very good. And, as we found out earlier, it is useful for many people.
How do Ukrainians cook mushrooms? In fact, this is delicious disposal of cucumber brine, which remains with every housewife who loves to pickle cucumbers for the winter. If your family does this too, that’s great. If they don’t, that’s okay. You can prepare the brine yourself. For townspeople, the difficulty may be only in finding some components.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Cook the mushrooms in lightly salted water until boiling. Let it boil for 5 minutes. We drain the water and let it cool.
- We take out a jar of cucumber brine from the refrigerator. Expect that the optimal amount of mushrooms will fit in a liter jar. Usually about 300-400 grams of mushrooms. Keep in mind that mushrooms shrink during cooking. Do not remove herbs from the brine. This will make the mushrooms more aromatic.
- If there is no brine at home, you can prepare it the day before. But you need to understand that the taste will not be so complete. You will need a few cucumbers for cooking. You can also slice the cucumbers so that the flavor is more saturated with the brine. Lay them on the bottom of the jar.
- Also add allspice, chopped garlic, dry dill stalk or seeds, mustard seeds, horseradish root, horseradish leaves, currant leaves, cherry leaves, black pepper, bay leaf. This is the perfect mix of ingredients, but you may not have everything. At a minimum, you should have garlic, bay leaves, allspice, and black pepper.
- Pour a liter of water into a saucepan, add salt to boiling water. Pour saltwater into a jar. Put in a cool place for several days. Keep in mind that traditional pickles are infused for at least a month.
- Put boiled mushrooms in the cooled brine. Refrigerate for 24 hours. You can do the same with pickled cucumbers and pickles.
- Serve with vegetable oil, chopped garlic, and onion leaves. This is delicious.
Salted champignons are tasty and aromatic. If you don’t eat these mushrooms earlier, you can add them to borsch for a long time. Just do not forget about the optimal amount of salt, because mushrooms are already salty.
How to cook cucumber brine:
Video by Food Wishes