Probably everyone knows how to cook a Caprese salad. But not so many people thought to make a sandwich with it. It’s a good snack idea to take with you to a picnic, school, or work. To create the perfect sandwich, you need to find the perfect ingredients.
You can simply buy mozzarella, tomatoes, and a black baguette at the store. But if you use a baguette that you make at home, it will be amazing. We try to make malt-based bread. This taste and aroma of fermented sprouted grains of rye or barley, we will not be able to describe in words.
Let’s just say that its aroma is slightly similar to honey, the taste is rich, spicy. You can eat the first baguette without waiting for it to cool down. All family and neighbors will come on the smell from your kitchen. Believe me, you will have something to surprise them with.
In Ukraine, malt has been used since ancient times for the preparation of black bread and beer. Now the old recipes are being restored and introduced into other recipes. For example, you can enrich not only bread with the malt but also a classic French baguette.
The malt is very healthy. You can use it in weight-loss diets, is useful for strengthening the immune system and the body, improves vascular function, removes cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, calms the nervous system, and improves sleep. Many people use it to enhance the performance and endurance of the body.
Not everyone will be able to find malt powder made from the milling of sprouted, fermented dry grains. You can replace it with malt extract. However, you will not see the grains swell and soften in the dough when you eat bread.
Directions0/0 steps made
Let’s make a malt baguette.
To do this, put the malt in a separate small deep plate and pour 70 ml of boiling water. Leave to swell for 15 minutes.
- Put dry yeast and sugar in warm water about 40 degrees C. Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes, make sure the yeast has activated and froth.
- Sift whole grain flour and wheat flour, place in a large deep dough bowl, and add salt.
- Pour the liquid into the flour in a thin stream and mix well. Knead the dough with your hands, place it in the center of the bowl, cover it with a towel and leave it in a warm place for 50 minutes.
- Take vegetable oil and pour it into the dough. Knead the dough well. It separates perfectly from the sides of the bowl. The dough is very good.
- Grease a baking dish or baking sheet with oil. Divide the dough into several baguettes or form one loaf and place in a bread baking dish. Sprinkle the dough with sesame seeds or flax seeds.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Place a baking sheet or baking dish in it. Bake the baguette for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and from the baking dish or baking sheet. Place the baguette on a wooden board and cover it with a cloth. Wait for it to cool down.
Let’s prepare the components for the Caprese.
Rinse the tomato and slice longitudinally into rings. Take a mozzarella ball and cut it into rings of the same thickness.
- Let’s prepare some snacks. Cut cold fresh bread into slices. Place the slices of tomato and cheese on top in turn. Sprinkle olive oil on top and top with chopped herbs.
How to make homemade malt extract:
Video by Brewing Beer The Hard Way