It’s great to cook dishes that can be used for a long time, which can serve as components for another, more complex dish. A kind of preparation for future culinary achievements, allowing you to save time. Today, such a dish will be stewed white beans with carrots and onions. Excellent preparation for future borsch.
Why should you eat beans?
Beans are high in protein and rich in minerals and vitamins. Due to their high protein content, which is similar in composition to meat, beans can replace meat. That is why vegetarians prefer it. Beans also regulate blood sugar levels, have a positive effect on heart rate, strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Soak the beans 4-5 hours before cooking. Beans can be small or coarse. Larger beans take longer to swell and cook. Consider this when buying. Better use small beans.
- Drain the water in which the beans were steeped before cooking.
- Cook the swollen beans in salted water over low heat for 2 hours. Try it, if the beans are still hard, cook for a while. Make sure that the beans do not boil into a mushy mixture. We need whole beans.
- Keep in mind that beans expand in volume when boiled, approximately twice.
- Peel the carrots and onions. Cut into small cubes or whatever you like. Larger cubes store more flavor and juice for each vegetable.
- Preheat a frying pan, pour in some vegetable oil. Add chopped vegetables. Salt and pepper them. Stew over low heat, covered, until vegetables are tender.
- Combine boiled beans with fried vegetables in a frying pan. Add some more vegetable oil. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir. Remove the finished dish and serve.
- Transfer the leftover beans to a glass jar or other storage container. In this form, beans can be stored for several days or even a week. But it is best to cook borsch or soup within the first 3-5 days. When you cook the borsch, simply add a glass of leftover beans and vegetables to the boiling broth.
How to boil beans:
Video by Scoff