This recipe is known as Tebasaki Karaage in Japanese cuisine. The literal translation means “fried chicken wings”. Pieces of chicken are marinated, rolled in flour, and deep-fried. So, what is Karaage? Juicy tender meat with an appetizing crispy crust that is easy to cook and a pleasure to eat. It is a very popular snack in Japanese restaurants and bars, but can also be prepared at home.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Let’s make a marinade for the wings. Peel the ginger and garlic. Cut the ginger into small pieces, pass the garlic through a press.
- Take the chicken wings, split it in two, and select the meatier part.
- In a small bowl, combine Japanese soy sauce, sake (or rice wine), mirin, and salt. Stir until the salt dissolves.
- Place the chicken wings into a large bowl, pour in the prepared sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Mix the contents of the container well so that the marinade covers the wings on all sides. Cover the container and remove it to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Put wheat flour, cornstarch, salt, and black pepper for breading in a bowl and stir evenly.
- Strain the marinated wings through a sieve and mix with the breading.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep frying pan or wok and heat it over medium heat to 180⁰C. Place the wings gently in hot oil.
- Cook the wings in oil for about 5-6 minutes, until deep frying. Remove the finished wings from the oil.
- Serve the wings immediately. Serve with white and red sauces.
How to cook fried chicken wings, alternative version:
Video by ChilliChump